Thursday, October 31, 2013

Trick or Treat!!!!

Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat!
 
Ahhhh, the good ol' days!  As a child I remember the excitement & anticipation of Halloween. Dressing up, pretending to be someone/something else for a time. Playing your favorite superhero or ghastly Halloween character. All that play time, topped off with running through the neighborhood, knocking on doors, and collecting candy! Do you remember barely being able to contain yourself as you ran home to dump your sack on the table so you could see how much loot you scored?
 
 
This picture was a gift from mom, given to me just a few weeks ago.
I think I was about 6 here...Oh the memories.
 
In the last two years I have found that one of the best parts of the mommy "job"
is watching your children live all fun, excitement & anticipation of all those "big" days.
Holidays, graduations, vacations, the list goes on.
We watch. We see the smiles and we hear the squeals of joy.  We remember being there.
I feel like it's Gods way of taking those moments and giving them back with a much greater joy and a
appreciation. My heart smiles.
 My son is five now and my daughter 18 months.  I find that, especially now, I love the conversations we have preparing for these moments.
With today being Halloween we have done lots of preparing.  LOTS.
The pumpkin patch.
Picking the pumpkin, at a another pumpkin patch.
A preparatory meal.
A preparatory movie in jammies.
This is us watching said movie.
(daddy was out workin hard)
Carving the pumpkin. Sister is getting ready to dig in.
Love it!
The finished pumpkin.
 
As a parent, is all this preparation always easy? No.
Can it be stressful? Yes.
I'm not going to lie and say it's all fun all the time, but in the end my heart is always smiling.
I love making my own memories and traditions with my kids as I relive the memories from my childhood.
It is kind of like stopping to smell the roses, just for an mere second as you try to catch up
with your wild & crazy, excited kids!
 
The rest is on its way. A class party, dinner & trick-or-treating with  Nana & Grandad.
Then finally home to check out how we, sorry I mean they, did!
What memories are you making/remembering today?
Will you be going through that candy sack stealing the best of the best?
BOO! Happy Halloween
~Amy G.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment